ARTICLE HERE

youonlywish
Admin

View user profile http://www.civiliansheepdog.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Use Of Force

Post by Waif on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 am

Use of Force Depends on the Situation

If you use Force WITHOUT some form of Back-up will you Leave others (Kids/Dependants) At greater risk IF you Are overrun .

But then this Could be true in Any scenario

For some the Riots were a TRUE Survival Situation (The First shop set alight had 26 Families living above it) ..
{AS an Observation of Mine}
The Police stood and Observed while it was in Fluid Motion then Rounded up in a More Peaceful Manner After the Event (During could have Inflamed the Situation)
Waif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:33 am

The main thing to remember, is that use of force means 'reasonable force'.

Which usually means enough to deter or defend yourself, but not so much as you do serious injury to your attacker.

The main problem is with the use of 'reasonable' in the legal system. reasonable to whom? you? the police? the judge?

I despise the use of vague terms in law.

Scratch

View user profile http://www.aema.alberta.ca/pa_emergency_preparedness_week.cfm

Back to top Go down

Not that complicated....

Post by bushido on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:02 am

Use of force really isnt that complicated. You can use as much force that a reasonable person would understand. ie, if a guy is going to punch you a reasonable person would understand you kicking and punching them, etc NOT taking out a knife and stabbing away to your hearts content.
Now this reasonable understanding of force can change if we add a simple factor of a guy breaking into your house at night when you and your family are sleeping. Or a woman jogging down a path that is attacked by a person. If you feel your life is in danger then by all means do what ever it takes to survive the encounter.
One can simply defend themselves but where people usually get themselves into hot water is when they win the conflict. On their adrenaline high they chase down the fellow as he is running away to inflict more damage. Who is the attacker or the assaulting party now? Once you have stopped the threat you have to stop so that you are not becoming the threat.
I know, I know clear as mud. I hope that this helps.
Stay safe....

bushido

View user profile http://www.wolfandsheepdog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:21 pm

bushido wrote:Once you have stopped the threat you have to stop so that you are not becoming the threat.

Absolutely. If you pay careful attention to exactly what happens when people who are lawfully defending themselves or their property are charged, you'll notice that all of them go a step too far. Shooting a dark figure in your house is one thing, but chasing him out into the yard to give him a coup de grĂ¢ce is most definitely not cool.

Even if your opponent is armed, unless he is inside your personal space or actively firing at you, he is not an "immediate threat" and use of force will probably be frowned upon. You have to constantly re-evaluate as the situation unfolds in order to stay on the right side of the law, but that can be difficult in some cases. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six - if I legitimately feel my life is in danger I'm going to take action to avoid the threat, or remove it if absolutely need be.

Staff

View user profile http://www.emergencymanagementontario.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum