civiliansheepdog.com - forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOGfari Machete 18" | Mini Review

2 posters

Go down

SOGfari Machete 18" | Mini Review Empty SOGfari Machete 18" | Mini Review

Post by Wilson Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:36 pm

SOGfari Machete 18" | Mini Review

SOGfari Machete 18" | Mini Review Resize?sq=500&uid=1857190912

This is the first in my series of mini reviews, cutting out the chatter of your average review and getting down to brass tacks.

This was purchased by a team mate of mine and we had an opportunity to put it through its paces on one of our "short range patrol"-style hikes. To call the SOGfari Machete a machete is an understatement, this thing is a sword that would make a Space Marine proud. The blade is several times thicker than that of a typical machete, but still retains an appropriate amount of flex without taking a bend. It holds an edge well, even after repeated strikes against hardwood stumps. The saw on the back of the blade works well, we managed to cut an 8" pine down with relative ease. The handle grips well and allows for natural swings, chops, and flicks, though the spiked tang will bite the user if careful attention is not paid when unsheathing or sheathing. The sheath is made of durable plastic with a nylon cover and feels sturdy, the blade itself seats well within with a positive lock and retained with a hook and loop strip. The weight is balanced well but is a little on the heavy side, and under heavy use we could definitely start to feel it a lot faster than a typical machete. However, if utilized properly (and not abused, as we were doing in testing), the SOFfari Machete outperforms the alternatives by a mile.

Details from the manufacturer:

Blade: 18" x .080" (45.7cm x 2.0mm)
Overall Length: 23.95" (60.8cm)
Weight: 15.7 oz. (444 g)
Edge: Straight & Saw Back
Steel: 3CR13 Stainless
HRC: 52-53
Handle: Kraton
Finish: Black Powder Coated
Sheath: Nylon
Country of Origin: China
Price: $33.00 MSRP

Bottom Line:

I recommend this product as your first choice for a machete.
Wilson
Wilson
Staff

http://www.emergencymanagementontario.ca

Back to top Go down

SOGfari Machete 18" | Mini Review Empty Re: SOGfari Machete 18" | Mini Review

Post by youonlywish Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Nice.

I've never handled a real machete. How does it feel?

Does it weigh down in the front?
youonlywish
youonlywish
Admin

http://www.civiliansheepdog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:06 am

Machetes are supposed to be somewhat off-balance, with the bias trending toward the tip, as it lends itself to chopping action while minimizing fatigue. I would say that the balance on this one is excellent, being about halfway between a sword and a machete with good swinging characteristics and recovery.

Most traditional machetes feel like a piece of sheet metal that was cut to profile and had a cheap handle glued on (which isn't actually far from what they really are), and because of that they feel cheap and have terrible edge retention. The SOG offering is more like a proper knife or sword, with good thickness and a "sturdy" feel, while still maintaining that flexibility and spring that makes machetes durable.

For purely hiking/backpacking/bugout purposes, the SOG is the only machete you will need. It has a ridged tang on it for smashing and it has a saw on the back, it's three tools in one. It's also three times heavier, and you can feel it after extended use. This easily replaces a basic machete on a hike, because of its versatility, but for camp or household purposes I'd rather a normal machete.
Wilson
Wilson
Staff

http://www.emergencymanagementontario.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down